Friday, July 22, 2005

In my ear

If I had a religion it would be music. Many of my friends often ask me for song suggestions for parties and ask me what's on my iPod. So here's a few things I've been listening to lately that I highly recommend.

Citizen Cope This artist is originally from Memphis, TN. He's been around quite awhile but mostly behind the scenes, underground. Recently one of his songs was added to a Santana album. His latest Album called The Clarence Greenwood Recordings, is a mix of southern rock, blues, and some hip-hop/funk. I recommend "Bullet and A Target" or "Sideways". Many of his songs are available to listen to on his website and through iTunes.

The Mars Volta This group is originally from El Paso, TX. This group has also been around for awhile, and are somewhat obscure. And by obscure here I mean weird. Certinaly not for everyone. Their sound is a mix of classical industrial. Yea I know you're like what? Kinda hard to explain and catorgize them as they have a unique sound. They are all about the disturbing imagery. Their latest album called Frances the Mute is set in typical classical structure of arrangements and movements. They are known for mixing various languages with their unique sound. Their music is also available through their website and iTunes.

George Strait George (as we call him in Texas) is originally from San Antonio, TX. Now I know there isn't anything new or different about George Strait, but that's pretty much his appeal. George was and is a real cowboy, and although he rarely writes his own lyrics or music, he has a very unique ability to take another person's songs and make them completely his own. I've never known another artist like George to be able to put the same feeling into a song that he did not write himself. His latest album Somewhere down in Texas is a classic collection of traditionally written Texas flavor songs. The album includes an excellent Merle Haggard song called "The Seashores of Old Mexico". His music is available through his website and iTunes.

Now don't say I never gave ya nothin'. :-p

No comments: